Your Privacy Matters: We use our own and third-party cookies to improve your experience on our website. By continuing to use the website we understand that you accept their use. Cookie Policy
Building a stand alone Winforms App. Need help
posted

I am building an app that does not get installed.  The user basically downloads the app's zip file and runs from the directory.  I set the build of the project to include ALL .dlls necessary to run minus the .Net framework which is already installed on the users work stations.  On my machine which has the Dev environment and Infragistics installed, everything works fine.  But when I run the same app from machines where Infragistics is not installed (And the Infragistics .dlls are in the application directory) i get very random Red X's.  The Red X occurs when I am setting the datasource of an ultragrid.

Is it possible to use the Infragistics libraries like this, or do they have to be registered in the GAC?

Parents
No Data
    Suggested Answer
    Offline posted

Hi,

You don't have to install the assemblies into the GAC, they can be used locally like you are doing.

The big red X is an indication that an exception occurred while the grid was painting. The most common reason for it is that your application is using multiple threads and there are improper cross-thread operations occurring. Since the grid is using DataBinding and you are not in control of the communication between the grid and the data source, it's nearly impossible to safely use the grid in an environment where some other thread (other than the UI thread) operates on the grid or it's DataSource.

If your application is not using multiple threads, then it is, of course, possible that there is some other reason for the exception. If that's the case, it would help to know what version of the grid you are using. Perhaps you just need to get the latest service release.

If that does not help, then perhaps you could post the call stack of the exception, and that might give us a clue as to what's causing it.

Children
No Data